Saturday, March 19, 2011

Simon and The Help

After a long streak of "red" days (the opposite of green days, which are good), Simon's teacher called me yesterday to set up a meeting for Monday afternoon. Simon, who at home is the sweet one, the creative one, and the most sensitive of my kids, is turning into a cross between a class clown and a bully at school, and nothing we've been doing is helping him make better choices (that's kindergarten-speak for "start behaving like a decent human being"). He kicks, he shoves, he screams, he distracts other kids, and it happens every single day, regardless of the rewards and punishments his teacher and I invent. I have no idea what to do about it, other than what in my mind is the obvious solution - start homeschooling him. Is he starved for attention? Does he have ADD too? Does it matter what the reason for the behavior is? I have no idea. His teacher doesn't either, so if the meeting on Monday actually solves anything, it will be purely by accident (or the grace of God). I should be praying about this, huh?
John and Grace and I are alone this weekend, and we enjoyed 6 straight hours of sleep last night, followed by a yummy breakfast and some couch time. I might even read my book before I get ready for the day, which will involve all of my favorite things - cleaning, shopping, cooking, and stopping at my parents' house. I've been reading a novel, for the first time in months, and I love it - The Help, by Kathryn Stockett. I found it at the library and grabbed it because it was one of the three left in the "bestseller" section. It's on Amazon too:


Time for a coffee refill. Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment