Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Allison in "Training"

Last week was a milestone for me as a new mom - 6 weeks postpartum meant I could start exercising again, so I'm back at the Rec Center attempting to get back into shape. Honestly, I'd like to get back into better shape than I was before. My goal is to someday - relatively soon - be able to run at least a 5K at an 8-minute pace. And have cool-looking biceps (not scary, like Madonna's, just muscular). And visible ab muscles. These things are all several months from becoming reality...right now I'm "running" three 10-minute miles and lifting weights as often as I can get to it - about 4-5 times a week. So anyway, I think it would help me stay motivated to track what I'm doing, plus I can never remember how much weight I lift on each machine, so I'd like to have a record of it somewhere. I looked online and found an awesome free training site, www.trainingpeaks.com, where you can track all kinds of workouts, as well as your diet (thankfully, diet will NOT be part of what I'm tracking, but it is a pretty handy tool if that's what you want to track).
You can create workout and meal plans, then compare your actuals to your plan, and it has all kinds of reporting features. I haven't really done much with it yet, but what I've seen is impressive. It has a daily calendar, with really detailed workout tracking capabilities, and a nifty dashboard with all kinds of graphs and other "pods" you can add and arrange (my former boss at AHS would love this thing). You can even use it from your smart phone (I have a dumb phone, so I will not be doing this), or upgrade to a premium version for a bunch of other features.
Here are some other online trackers I found...I didn't look at all of them, so if you check into these, let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment