Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Not to brag, but my kid is smart

We just got done with our first lesson on voting, and it was awesome (according to me, anyway). We started by talking about marriage in the Bible: Genesis 1:18-25 (God's purpose for man and woman is to join together in marriage), Ephesians 4:22-32 (a husband's relationship with his wife should be a reflection of Christ's relationship with His church), and Genesis 19:1-29 (God does not want us to be in intimate marital relationships with members of our own sex). Isaac got the first and last concept...the middle one is, as Paul himself says, a "mystery" even to adults.
Then, we talked about the history of marriage legislation in Iowa, ending with Iowa's Marriage Amendment and today's rally. This led to a great discussion, initiated by Isaac, about the importance of letting the people vote and of getting the people who are eligible to vote to actually do it. He was pretty passionate when we talked about voting and told me that "the president can't just boss us around." He also told me that kids are people too, and they should get to vote, to which I responded, "um...but kids don't always make the best decisions because they don't understand the whole story." He seemed skeptical, so I added, "even I don't always understand the whole story." This, he had no problem believing.
Finally, to segue into city government, the topic of tomorrow's PBS Kids lesson, we talked about the various jobs in a school, and how all of those jobs are needed to make the school run. We compared that to the city of Carroll, and all of the jobs needed to make the city run. We'll eventually talk about all of the city and county elected officials, but for today, Isaac made his own list of jobs that a city needs:
1. Doctors
2. Garbage Men
3. Grocery Store Workers
4. Inventors
5. Mayor
6. Psychiatrists
7. Cops
Then we printed out some Let Us Vote! buttons and I forced the kids to put one on. I'm so impressed with us. I think this is our first "unit study" - where you incorporate several different school subjects into one lesson. Not only am I raising a future voter, I'm turning into a real homeschool teacher! Yippee!

No comments:

Post a Comment