Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Marriage Rally

If I were braver, I would be taking the kids to the marriage rally at the Iowa State Capitol building today, but I can't convince myself to bring the three kids there by myself. I've been trying to since last week, I really have, but I keep picturing us outside the capitol with me trying to nurse the baby and Esme having to go potty and Isaac not getting what's going on anyway. Udder Cover or no, I don't think I'm ready for this kind of an outing. My official excuse also involves the price of gas and a tire on the van that keeps going flat.
However, I think we're going to at least talk about the rally today and why it's important to define - or redefine - marriage as a union between one man and one woman, and why it's important to vote. Is this too deep for a 10-year old? I found a really detailed set of lesson plans on voting on the PBS Website for 3rd - 6th graders that look cool but a little bit overwhelming. I'll have to keep you updated on how it goes.
We're trying hard to make sure Isaac's homeschool experience is a "multi-media" one, complete with field trips, but I think we'll save our trip to the capitol for next week, when we go to the Homeschool Day at the Capitol. I wrangled John into going with us to that!

As a side note, I'm creating a wish list of school supplies that would be neat to have, and first on my list is a laminating machine. Just think of all of the things I could preserve via lamination...I could laminate my jeans when I find them and post them as a reminder to myself not to lose any more clothing...I could laminate my Social Security card and see what the consequences are...

No comments:

Post a Comment