Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Let's Do Something for Someone Else

One of the things I've wanted to do with the kids as a stay-at-home/homeschooling mom (which I haven't done at all) is find opportunities for us to do volunteer work as a family. I want the kids to grow up to be - as the Ezzos would say - "others-oriented," not self-oriented, and I want them to see that sometimes, the reward for hard work is something other than money. My excuse has been that I can't think of anything we could do with such little kids, but it turns out that this is kind of a lame excuse. Here's what I'm thinking we'll start with - We Care Kits through Hope Ministries in Des Moines. They're toiletry kits for a shelter, and you commit to making so many per month. You can write a little note with them, which is cool, and you can make them at home, which is even cooler.
The cousins are coming over today, and if we can get organized, we'll go to the store and each of us can make one.

No comments:

Post a Comment