Monday, July 11, 2011

Healthier Cheesecake?

I have a special weakness for cheesecake. I love to buy those mini-cheesecakes at Wal-Mart ($6, in the bakery section, makes 6 perfectly-sized servings) and top them with whipped cream, caramel syrup, and chocolate and/or peanut butter chips. It is my all-time favorite treat, discovered while I was pregnant with Grace. The best part is that the kids don't like it, and John feels guilty eating it, so I get pretty much the whole thing to myself. I'm drooling right now thinking about it. The salty, graham-crackery crust, the smooth cheesy cake, the fluffy whipped cream...Anyway, I really am trying to make healthier food for all of us, so I am going to TRY baking with Splenda. Fake Splenda, actually. So, in honor of my favorite cheesecake concoction, my first recipe is going to be Dulce de Leche cheesecake. Here's the recipe...I'll post a photo and a rating when I'm done:
http://splenda.tastebook.com/recipes/1397040-Dulce-de-Leche-Cheesecake
Now, you can probably buy Dulce de Leche, but probably not in Carroll. So, here's how to make it using sweetened condensed milk (I think I'm going to do the microwave method): http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Dulce-De-Leche
I think they make low-fat and/or low-sugar sweetened condensed milk, so I think that's what I'm going to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment