Friday, July 15, 2011

Countdown to School

I've been telling everyone that we're starting school on August 1, and I can't believe that it's only two weeks away! Is it too late to change my mind? Can't we have another month or two? Have we really spent enough time at the pool??
Anyway, I've been buying school supplies left and right and trying to get our workspace organized, and I'm starting to get kind of nervous/excited/scared. I feel like I used to feel as a student near the beginning of the year...half excitement, half dread. My current project is printing out stuff for the kids to paste on their "workspace dividers", which are those trifold state-fair-display boards that we're going to use to give everyone some privacy while they're working independently. One of the things I've printed for them to post on their dividers is a schedule of our day, which I'm hoping will look something like this:


7:00 – 8:00:        Get up and Get Ready
8:00 – 8:15:        Bible
8:15 – 8:30:        Language Arts
8:30 – 9:30:        Math
9:30 – 9:45:        Spelling
9:45 – 10:05:      English
10:05 – 10:15:    Math Drill and Snack
10:15 – 10:45:    Geography & Book Basket
10:45 – 11:05:    Science
11:15 – 11:45:    Reading
11:45 – 12:05:    Character Training
12:05 – 1:00:      Clean-up and Lunch

So, as you can see, by 12:05 we're done with our formal school day, and the afternoon is free for catching up on work or special projects, field trips, chores, errands, and fun stuff. My main concern is the getting up and getting ready by 8 part. Yes, we used to do this every day, but we've been totally slacking off all summer. Esme hasn't seen 7 a.m. - or 8 a.m. - for weeks. Yikes.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE this schedule - let us know how it goes!! Faith has been asking about homeschooling again & I'm ALWAYS thinking about it for her & the other little ones. I'm so overwhelmed at the thought of starting with a 6th grader! Yikes! Of course, I'd make Brad do all the instructing, unless we figured out how to have me stay home... Any advice for us as we keep contemplating the possibilities??

    ReplyDelete
  2. The BEST encouragement, advice, support, and ideas have all come from the people I've met who've been doing it for years. You and Brad MUST come to our next meeting with the Carroll Area Christian Homeschool group...August 19 at noon at North East park. I think. Let me verify those details, but Heather, you could absolutely make homeschooling work for your family. If we can do it, I have no doubt that you can do it. None. Nada. Zilch. You get my drift.

    ReplyDelete