Thursday, July 28, 2011

Digestion: Something I'm Good At

I've never had digestive problems. No heartburn (except when pregnant with Grace, which I blame on the presence of Schoonover genes in my body), no diarrhea, no constipation, no ulcers...certainly no lack of appetite - nothing. I am a finely tuned food-processing machine. However, it seems like everyone around me has some kind of problem, and I don't get it. I must just be blessed, because I'm positive that it's not my diet (the "I eat whatever I'm hungry for which is usually cereal or ice cream" diet). More than one of my friends has Celiac disease, which is a totally horrible, unfair disease that makes eating gluten - something that every single one of my favorite foods (cereal, pasta, bread, cake, cookies) contains - very damaging to your small intestine. I just bought some gluten-free Bisquick and am making this fruit swirl coffee cake for church on Sunday: http://www.glutenfreely.com/recipes/breakfast/d5d91f80-dd20-4091-ad08-2c1bc7e08a28, and I'm really hoping that it doesn't taste weird.
If you're having tummy troubles and suspect Celiac disease, you can be tested for it (it's a blood test). Try starting here to see if your symptoms match those of Celiac disease: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/celiac_ez/.

No comments:

Post a Comment