Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Yogurt

I made banana bread yesterday and decided to do three things differently:
  1. I had Simon and Esme help me. They loved it. LOVED it. They even sort of cooperated.
  2. I added chocolate chips. Lots and lots of chocolate chips. I had a piece at lunch that was about 1/3 chips, 2/3 bread. Deeelicious.
  3. I substituted yogurt for the vegetable oil. Not only that, but it was the really low fat, 100-calorie per serving yogurt. Again, delicious. According to my research, you can substitute yogurt for the butter, margarine, or oil in most recipes using a 1:1 ratio (so 1/4 cup vegetable oil = 1/4 cup yogurt). 
Do you think the yogurt fat-chopping made up for the addition of the chocolate chips? Oh, who cares. The bread turned out great - it's really moist, but it still held together really well, and the top got nice and shiny brown. I would post a picture but I'm too lazy to take one. Maybe I can catch someone eating it later and get a picture of that, although none of the kids (not even the ones who helped make it!) will give it a try. Watch out, John...you're my only hope...

1 comment:

  1. Allison! This sounds fabulous! I had no idea about the yogurt substitution thing. I MUST try that! And yes, I believe that balances out the extra chocolate chips. No question. ;) You are so clever!
    -Heather :D

    ReplyDelete