Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Bacon Date Scones

Yep, that's right, bacon date scones. I just ate one, and it was full of crunchy (bacon), chewy (date), sugary (sugar) goodness. I think I might put peanut butter on my next one, and then it would be absolutely perfect. My husband and I like to daydream about our bed and breakfast/bait and tackle shop/bakery/goat farm, and my idea for our signature baked good is the "Schoon." It's a scone, made by a Schoonover, hence the name "Schoon." (No one thinks this is clever except me, but I'm willing to debate it indefinitely.) I think that the bacon date Schoon might just be our claim to fame. Here's the recipe:

10 ounces thick-cut bacon
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup chopped pitted dates
1 stick COLD butter
2/3 cup buttermilk (one of those little pint containers will be enough)

Snip bacon into small pieces and fry until crispy. Spoon onto paper towels to drain. Reserve bacon drippings. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Chop dates and add with bacon to flour mixture. Toss to coat. Grate butter into mixture (I used a cheese grater). Using fork, stir in butter. Add buttermilk and stir until moist clumps form. Using hands, knead until dough forms. The key is to stir/knead as little as possible; too much and the Schoons will be tough.
Put dough ball on floured surface and shape into an 8" circle. Cut into 8 wedges. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper and chill for 2 hours.
Preheat oven to 400. Remove from fridge, brush with bacon drippings, and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 15-18 minutes, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Store in airtight container at room temperature.

Raw Schoons

Baked Schoons

Bacon Drippings (Oh, yeah)

Bonus picture - Esme and Isaac at the park this afternoon

Which reminds me of the thought I had on the way back from the park, when I started to feel guilty about not spending any time today studying for the ITBS tests next week: Isaac is learning how to be a good big brother. And how to treat girls. Which will translate into how to be a good husband and how to treat women. And that, my dear readers, is more important than long division. (Which Isaac has finally mastered, thank goodness.)

No comments:

Post a Comment