Monday, April 18, 2011

To Minneapolis and back again

John, Grace, and I had a wonderful weekend in Minneapolis with his sisters. We got to introduce Grace to her aunts and cousins (including some dog cousins), catch up on what everyone's been doing this winter, and just enjoy each other's company for a while. Everyone was so sweet and welcoming and excited to see Grace...we were totally spoiled. I got to see two of his sisters' houses that I'd never been to before and two of John's nieces that I didn't think we'd have time to see. The best dish we ate (you knew this was going to involve food at some point, didn't you?) was a tie between prime rib with gravy and horseradish and strawberry shortcake with homemade whipped cream. It was like Christmas. We even had time for a trip to Trader Joe's and Byerly's, where we bought some random, delicious, not-to-be-found-in-Carroll snacks (Australian cheese, maple pecan granola, blood orange soda, sesame covered almonds, smoked oysters) to bring home. We drove by John's childhood home, and I got to hear a bunch of "John" stories, which I love. I think all of us are tired this morning, so school might be starting a little late. The kids slept in their new pajamas from Aunt Sue, and I have a feeling that I'm going to have to beg and bribe Esme to get hers off. Someone might also have to beg and bribe me to get my pajamas off.

Aunt Jeanne, Grace, and John

No comments:

Post a Comment