Thursday, April 21, 2011

My wise baby

I don't think I've bragged enough about how well Grace has been sleeping. My three older kids didn't sleep through the night until they were at least 18 months old - Esme got up twice or MORE until she was one. They still get up in the middle of the night crying, coughing, needing water, having to pee, having already peed, with bloody noses, barfing, wanting to sleep on my floor, sleepwalking, sleeptalking, etc., etc. Grace, however, has been sleeping for 8-10 hours straight for the last two weeks, and I give all of the credit to the Babywise method of establishing baby's routine. I followed it religiously for the first 6 weeks or so, and she just naturally developed a good sleep/eat/wake pattern. Really. I was a total skeptic and started it thinking that it would fail, but at least I would have gone down fighting...and then it worked! The basic principle is that you start your baby off on a 2.5 - 3.5 hour cycle of feeding, then awake time, then sleeping. That's all there is to it. If the baby wants to eat sooner, you try to make her wait. If she's still asleep when it's time to eat, you wake her up. If she wants to sleep during feeding and awake time, you do everything you can to get her to wake up (cold hands on Grace's warm little belly was my favorite tactic). If you have a baby, even an older baby, or you're expecting, you have to buy this book. If I can make it work, anyone can.

No comments:

Post a Comment