Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What we're making this week

First, let me tell you about my adoration for the Tastefully Simple Absolutely Almond Pound Cake. It is the most delicious, moist, soft, almondy cake I've ever had. I could eat a whole loaf in one sitting. After a meal. With ice cream. However, it's about $7 for a box of the mix, which makes just a little tiny loaf. I made some of my own almond pound cake this weekend, and while I seem to be the only one in the family eating it, I think it's nearly as good as the Tastefully Simple one.

Here's the recipe:
1 1/2 cups of butter, softened
3 3/4 cups of powdered sugar
6 eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. almond extract
2 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. salt
2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted

Cream the butter and powdered sugar. I used an electric mixer. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well with each addition. Add the extracts. In a separate bowl, mix the flour and salt and add it to the butter mixture. Stir gently, folding in the flour mixture. Add the toasted almonds. Pour into a greased and floured tube or bundt pan. Bake for 60-65 minutes.  Don't be fooled by the brown top or the fact that a toothpick comes out clean at about 40 minutes. It is NOT done.
I like to eat this with caramel sauce and whipped cream. I'm drooling just thinking about it. Here's a shot of it on my Care Bears plate. I've been cleaning out the basement and found a bunch of party stuff, so we're eating off of Care Bears and Dora plates for the next week or so. May they decompose quickly.
Yes, that's actually two slices, but they were SMALL. They don't even cover up the Care Bears' heads. I modified this from the original recipe, which called for just vanilla extract, as well as 1 cup coconut and 2/3 cup chopped pecans, which also sounds yummy. John said I have to help him lose weight, so I'm either going to have to start hiding my desserts or stop making them...or maybe we could start eating desserts instead of meals? Anyway, this may be the last recipe of its kind for a while. Maybe I should start making "healthy" desserts with whole grains and mashed peas and stuff in them.
I'm in the middle of a scarf/shawl I'm knitting for my sister as a belated birthday present, and I think I like it. I wanted something she could wear this summer over a dress or tank top, and I think this will work. If it ends up looking weird, I'll just keep it and try something else for her. What do you think?
And lastly, a blurry sideways picture of the sun tea we made yesterday. Isn't that container hideous? It's the only one I could find. My friend Heather would be happy to know that there's a matching set of rooster dishes that go with this at K-Mart.

1 comment:

  1. I think I saw some Rooster placemats at Dollar General the other day that would go with your drink container too, Al. But I couldn't bring myself to buy them...the Roosters! ACK! :D

    -Heather :)

    ReplyDelete