Friday, May 27, 2011

Cinnamon Raisin Bread

I made some cinnamon raisin bread yesterday because I realized that we were down to our last piece of pumpkin pie, and I get nervous when we don't have any home-baked carbs on hand. It's pretty good, and it even has a little bit of a swirl in it, even though I just let the bread machine mix and bake it. There were a bunch of recipes that have you knead it in the bread machine, then take it out and add the cinnamon and raisins by hand and bake it in the oven. That way you get the really good swirls. But that seemed a little intense for a busy afternoon...we had hostas to plant, after all. So here is the recipe - it makes a 1.5 lb. loaf:

1 1/8 cup 80 degree water
1 1/2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 1/4 tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tbsp. dry milk (yes, I actually had this on hand...I can't remember why)
3/4 cup oatmeal (I used the instant maple-flavored packets)
3 cups bread flour
2 5/8 tsp. active dry yeast
3/4 cup raisins

Put all ingredients except cinnamon and raisins in the bread machine. Bake on the sweet bread setting. Add the cinnamon and raisins at the first beep. We ate it last night with honey and peanut butter, along with cheesy corn and a grilled pork loin. Yum.

Speaking of cheesy corn, here's what I did. It was pretty good:
1 bag frozen corn
4 oz. light cream cheese
1/4 cup onion
salt, pepper, and sugar to taste
Mix it all together and simmer on med-med/low for 30 minutes. I think I may have used the corn that John used as an ice pack for his hernia. Don't tell the kids they ate hernia corn. If it were just me, I would have added something spicy, like green chiles, or salsa, or cayenne pepper, but no one else (including Grace) likes it when I make spicy stuff.

Esme decided to end her day with sunglasses on - how cute is this?


Today is the last day of school, and I found Simon in Isaac's bed at 6 a.m. trying to reach a toy on Isaac's shelves. I'm just as excited as he is - no more school means summer is really coming! Where's the pause button? This is one of my favorite days of the year, and it'll be over way before I have time to properly enjoy it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment