Monday, June 13, 2011

NICHE Conference

How exciting was this weekend? I can't even describe it. It was very, very cool. We picked out our curriculum, and I'm busy hunting down used versions all over the internet. Here's what we're going to do:

My Father's World: Exploring Countries and Cultures
Link: http://www.mfwbooks.com/L04283B5243A8A9017078011+M50+ENG
Description: My Father's World is designed for multi-level teaching, so I'll be using it for Simon and Isaac simultaneously (and Esme will get her own workbook to doodle on too - she'll participate but won't be officially being "taught", if that makes any sense). The Exploring Countries and Cultures package is the first of a 5-year cycle, which progresses chronologically from ancient to modern times, incorporating biblical and secular history. It encompasses all subjects except language arts and math, which Simon and Isaac will be doing separately at their own "grade" level.
What I'm excited about: Since they're being taught together, I'm looking forward to this strengthening the kids' relationships with each other and with me. It also uses a lot of read-aloud material, which many homeschoolers say is/was their favorite aspect of homeschooling. I also think that weaving biblical history in with secular history is a crucial part of developing the kids' Christian worldview.

Art: I Can Do All Things & Lamb's Book of Art, Barry Stebbing
Link: http://www.howgreatthouart.com/products
Description: Coloring/Doodling/Teaching workbooks for art. I Can Do All Things is for ages 6-10 and is a 3-year curriculum; Baby Lamb's Book of Art is for 3-5. I can't wait to get Simon started on this. He'll probably be done with the whole book in a month.
What I'm excited about: Officially teaching art. We didn't really do any art lessons last semester with Isaac, and I feel like I cheated him - and myself - out of one of our favorite subjects.

Character Training: Plants Grown Up (boys) and Polished Cornerstones (girls)
Link: http://www.doorposts.com/
Description: Hundreds of pages of character training lessons, specific to girls or boys, with topics like "Perseverence in Trials", "Hiding God's Word in Our Heart", and "Showing Patience and Forgiveness."
What I'm excited about: Incorporating character development into homeschooling. This is one of the primary reasons I said I wanted to homeschool, so I'm thrilled to be actually doing it!


Language: Primary Language Lessons and Intermediate Language Lessons, Emma Serl
Link: http://cathyduffyreviews.com/grammar-composition/primary-language-lessons.htm
Description: These are textbooks from 1911 and 1914 that incorporate narration, dictation, nature lessons, and memorization of poetry in ways that would be in keeping with Charlotte Mason's ideas. They're recommended by My Father's World as your language arts curriculum.
What I'm excited about: The lessons look small and manageable, and I think it's cool that they're from a century ago.


Math: Singapore Math
Link: http://www.singaporemath.com/Homeschool_s/60.htm
Description: These were recommended by My Father's World as well; the neat thing about the younger grades is that they teach using story problems and illustrations.
What I'm excited about: I admit it. I'm just not excited about Math. But it will be interesting to try something new, anyway.

Now, I am NOT going to buy anything new if I can help it. Here are some great sites for used curriculum:
VegSource: http://www.vegsource.com/homeschool/homeschool-talk-and-swap.html
Home School Classifieds: http://www.homeschoolclassifieds.com/

Next, I have to break it to the kids that we're going to start school on August 1...

No comments:

Post a Comment