Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The 5,000 Year Leap

I got this book at the NICHE conference, and while I'm not making much progress, I love it and think it's a must-read for everyone over the age of 12. Homeschoolers, it would make a great junior high or high school study for history/culture/social studies. Here's a link to the book with a description of the 28 principles on which our country was founded, which is the focus of the book:
http://www.nccsstore.com/5000-Year-Leap-MP3-eBook/productinfo/5000YL/
I never liked studying history, even American history, when I was in school, so I'm always on the lookout for opportunities to catch up on what I've missed. This book is a thorough, well-researched (the author spent 40 years writing it!), well-written account of the process our founding fathers went through to write the constitution and the principles on which it was based. So far, I've learned that one of their primary sources of inspiration was the form of government used by the Israelites in biblical times - which was designed by God himself. Aha. The woman I spoke to at the conference said that some churches in the Des Moines area are doing this as a weekly study, with 1-2 principles per week. I think that would be really cool, so if anyone in the Carroll area is reading and is interested, let me know! I always think better with other people around to do some (most) of the thinking for me. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment