Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Delayed Obedience is Disobedience

I'm gearing up for our parenting class tonight, and though this is from a couple of lessons ago, I'm still struggling with it (as are the kids):
Obedience is immediate, complete, without challenge, and without complaint. Delayed obedience is disobedience. Whiny obedience is disobedience. Reluctant obedience is disobedience. Sometimes I'm so frustrated with the kids that I accept (even thank!) them for whiny or sullen obedience, when really, this is not obedience at all. You confuse your kids when you accept anything less than complete obedience, because your standard isn't clear or consistent. I've decided that I'm pretty good at being confusing. Ah well. What fun would parenting be without room (lots and lots of room) for growth and improvement?
In unrelated news, Grace is officially rolling over! This picture is from the cell phone, so it isn't very clear, but feel free to admire it - and our darling baby - anyway! She had just rolled from back to tummy when I snapped this.
One more fun thing - I got this from a fellow homeschool mom, who got it from another homeschool mom's blog. It's a clock made out of chalkboard paint, so you can write math problems for the hours (example: 5x2 = 10 o'clock). Just Call Me Jammin Clock Post
I was thinking about having one whole wall in our new downstairs TV room painted in chalkboard paint, and I'm thinking about attaching a clock mechanism - the hands or whatever - directly to the wall. Wouldn't that be cool?

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thoughts on obedience (& disobedience) Allison. I do the same thing...accept the whiny & reluctant "obedience" as true obedience. I'm just thankful to get it sometimes! You are right...it is still disobedience & sends confusing signals to our kids. This parenting thing is hard work!

    Grace is adorable! I can't wait to see her roll over in person!!

    And the clock thing...very cool AND crafty. Let us know if you actually do paint the whole wall in chalkboard paint. Do you think you'll have to clean up lots of chalk dust all the time, or is that not much of an issue? I'm curious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the chalk dust is definitely going to be an issue. For now, we're ripping up the carpet and just painting the floor, so it'll be easy to clean. Maybe this is how we should make our millions - let's invent dust-free chalk! Or is that what dry-erase boards are for...

    ReplyDelete