Sunday, January 22, 2012

Nature Study

I am not an "outdoors person." I remember being a kid and my stepmom getting so disgusted because I could go the whole summer without getting any hint of a tan. Given a choice, I would rather sit inside with a book or some Barbies than play outside. What do you even play outside? I remember being shooed outside and having no idea what to do once I got there. I've gotten better as I've gotten older; I like to go on walks and runs (although I have to say, I'd just as soon be on a treadmill), I like the pool and the park in the summer, and I like to sit on a lawn chair in my backyard. But I hate bugs, I hate wind, I really hate being cold, and I'm a huge fan of climate control. There are windows in my house that have not been opened since I've lived here. But a big part of homeschooling, especially if you use the Charlotte Mason method, is to teach nature appreciation. I found a cool book from 1911 called Handbook of Nature Sutdy, and a blog that offers lessons to go along with the book. And here's a Squidoo page of stuff on Charlotte Mason nature study: http://www.squidoo.com/cmnaturestudy. And another one called "Nature Tales": http://www.squidoo.com/naturetales. Maybe this will help me change my ways?

No comments:

Post a Comment