Sunday, January 29, 2012

Art Sites and Other Stuff

I just got an email with a link to a cool art site for kids: http://nmoe.org/gallery_art/index.html. I clicked the "Art Zone" link from the home page and just made my own collage online using the "collage machine." It was inspired. There are a bunch of other cool activities there too, although I kept having to install Adobe Shockwave Player stuff and was too annoyed to keep exploring. I blame this on my laptop, not the website.
I also found a great book at the library that is supposed to be about learning styles but is really more of a practical guide to using creative methods to get your kids engaged in school: The Big What Now Book of Learning Styes, by Carol Barnier. My plan is to write down a bunch of her ideas and use them on my kids...the first one I'm trying is like a scavenger hunt:
1. You make up a bunch of clues to direct your kids from place to place in the house. For example, the first clue might lead them to the washing machine, and then at the washing machine is another clue that leads them to the bathroom, etc. I made my clues rhyming poems in an attempt to make it a little more fun.
2. Once the kids get to the first spot, they find a list of review questions to answer or an activity to complete. When they finish it, they open the next clue and move on.
I'm also going to use her suggestion for teaching kids to tell time - have them lay on the floor in pairs and use their bodies (one is the minute hand, one is the hour hand), to create the times I give them. Isaac is pretty good with telling time, but Simon has no idea, and I saw it coming up in his Math book. 
Finally, in my quest to learn more about Charlotte Mason, I've decided I need to read her original writings. Fortunately, there is a site where you can read these translated into modern English - or even in paraphrase: http://www.amblesideonline.org/CM/toc.html
And now, to get ready for a full day of church stuff. We have church this morning, then we head back at 3 to set up for our annual meeting, which runs until 6 or 6:30. Maybe there will be some time for knitting and napping in between?

No comments:

Post a Comment