Saturday, January 21, 2012

Charlotte Mason

We've been using curriculum this year that is somewhat Charlotte Mason, meaning it focuses on reading real books (as opposed to textbooks), being in nature, drawing and art, and letting the kids pursue (to some degree) their own interests. I've been looking online at a couple of websites that focus on Charlotte Mason methods, and it makes me want to try a little harder to figure out how to be even more in line with her teaching style. One is a blog: http://www.momentswithmotherculture.blogspot.com/, and one is more of a normal website: http://charlottemasoneducation.com/. Both sites promote books on the Charlotte Mason method: A Charlotte Mason Companion, by Karen Andreola (blogger), and A Charlotte Mason Education, by Catherine Levison (normal website). One thing I have learned about my kids is that they LOVE to be read to. They love love love anything I read to them, especially if it's got a storyline. And, the more I read to them, the more interested I see them becoming in reading to each other and on their own. And what we read, they remember. If only I could teach them math by reading to them. Or can I...?

No comments:

Post a Comment