Monday, January 23, 2012

Allison's Vocab Search

I think I have created a vocabulary game with a magical combination of fun, physical activity, and education - at least, until I try it out on the kids and they scoff at its lameness. For now, anyway, I am feeling like a creative genius. Here's my game:
1. I made a huge wall of vocabulary words using the roll of paper I bought for our easel that doesn't actually fit on our easel. There's a space to the side of each word for taping up the definitions.

2. I put a picture of each word on an index card with the word written on the back. Then, I taped the index cards (picture side out) around the house. I think this one is a picture of "sinew." (This is Island of the Blue Dolphins vocab.)

3. Next, I wrote a simple, one- or two-word definition for each word on another index card. Example: my definition for "ponder" is "think."
The point of the game is that they run around the house looking at the cards, then they come downstairs and tape the definitions up next to the words, based on what they've learned from the pictures. So, looking at an index card with a picture of a guy thinking and seeing the word "ponder" on the back should give them the clue they need to tape up the definition "think" next to the word "ponder" on the big list. I'm thinking about giving them 60 seconds to run around looking at words, then 60 seconds to tape up definitions, and alternating that until they get tired or bored.

Here's Grace, wishing she were old enough to read (or run, or use tape) so she could get in on this game:

No comments:

Post a Comment