Friday, January 28, 2011

Homemade Wipes

I'm not sure if this is homeschool-related, but I'm planning to make my own baby wipes and cleaning wipes, as soon as I run out of the store-bought ones that I'm currently using. I really, really love wipes of all kinds, especially because the kids can help me clean with them and I don't have to entrust them with an entire spray bottle of toxic cleaner, but they're kind of expensive...supposedly, this will save both money and the environment. You cut a roll of paper towels in half (using an electric knife, it says, as though anyone actually owns one of those). Then, you stick them in a tupperware container that's big enough to hold the half-roll with the lid on. Next, you pour on the wipe solution and remove the cardboard tube. You cut a hole in the lid to pull the wipes through (from the center, where you removed the tube), and voila - homemade wipe dispenser. Here are the recipes; I'll let you know how this goes. I know my sister has made the baby wipes before...Em, if you're out there, give me your opinion on whether this is a worthwhile project. It sounds kind of fun, if nothing else.

Baby Wipes:

Baby Wash Recipe #1
  • 2 TBSP Baby Wash (choose a natural wash!)
  • 2 TBSP Olive Oil or Baby Oil
  • 2 Cups water
Baby Wash Recipe #2
  • 2 TBSP Baby Wash
  • 2 TBSP Olive Oil or 1 TBSP Calendula Oil
  • 2 Drops Tea Tree Oil
  • 2 Cups Water
Aloe Vera Recipe
  • 1/4 Cup Aloe Vera Gel
  • 2 Drops Tea Tree Oil
  • 2 Cups Hot Water
Vitamin E and Essential Oils Recipe
  • 2 Drops Tea Tree Oil
  • 2 Drops Lavender Oil (Please be sure to use only pure essential oils - don't use synthetic oils.)
  • 2 Drops Chamomile Oil
  • 2 Cups Water
  • 1 Vitamin E Cap
Household wipes:

General Surface Cleaning Recipe:
  • 1 1/2 cups white vinegar
  • 1 1/2 cups water
Disinfectant Cleaning:
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup pine cleaning solution such as Pine-Sol brand
  • 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 cup water
Window and Glass Cleaning:
  • 1/2 cup rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon white vinegar

No comments:

Post a Comment