Thursday, December 15, 2011

Cute Fuzzy Bags!

If you're in the mood to make gift wrapping a little bit softer this year, I have a brilliant idea (which was not, originally, mine). You can make drawstring pouches from a little bit of fleece and some ribbon - and it's not that much more difficult than wrapping, especially for odd-shaped gifts. Here's what you do:
  1. Buy enough fabric that you can cut at least one, 20-inch circle out of it. I can't remember how much this is...a yard? Maybe 2? I remember that the fabric all came in 18-inch width, so I had to get more than I had wanted to. I got two bags out of each swatch that I bought.
  2. Buy a lot of ribbon. One bag used one spool of the ribbon I bought at the craft store.
  3. Cut your circle. I tied a 10-inch piece of string around a piece of chalk to trace my circle, but if you have a gigantic bowl, that might work too. None of mine were big enough.
  4. Cut slits for the ribbon to go through. I cut mine about an inch and a half from the edge of the fabric at 3-inch intervals. I wouldn't go any more than 3 inches apart.
  5. Weave the ribbon through the slits. Use enough ribbon so that you can go all the way around the circle (with it laying flat) and tie the ribbon in a bow. I hot-glued my bow together so it wouldn't come untied. And because I use every excuse I can to get out the hot glue gun.
  6. To create the bag, just pull the ribbon at the point where you tied the bow. When the bag is cinched up, you have a perfect little carrying strap.

2 comments:

  1. Now gift receivers have to think of something to do with the "bags" after opening the gifts...ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a good carry-toys-around-the-house bag, and maybe a good bag to put your comb & toothbrush in for sleepovers. Oooh, and a good Bible & offering tote bag for church. We're always forgetting our Bibles and offerings for church.

    ReplyDelete