Saturday, September 15, 2012

The New and Organized Me



Staying Organized
I’ll be honest – I have never been good at keeping track of appointments. We’ve missed practices, dentist appointments, late starts at the public school, and all kinds of other events because I’ve never been able to find a calendar system that I can keep up with. I buy planners and use them for a week or two; I put things into Gmail or Outlook and fail to log in to them for weeks; I write notes that get lost or thrown away or stuffed in the bottom of my bottomless purse.
Enter Cozi, a free online calendar/to-do list/journal/shopping list program that has totally changed my life and reputation. I am now “on-top-of-it” Mom who never misses anything and is actually able to tell people what we’ll be doing and when.
If I had a smart phone, which I don’t, I could look at it and update it from there, but I just keep it all updated from my home computer. I can print weekly and monthly calendars to hang up at home and at John’s office, and I can have text message reminders sent to my “dumb” phone for important things that I’m likely to forget.
When you create your account, you can share your password with the whole family, and everyone can go in and add their own events. You can flag each event for one or more family member and do all kinds of other things that I haven’t used yet.
Check it out! www.cozicentral.com 

Homeschool Share & Lapbooking
Lapbooking is one of the best discoveries I’ve made since I started homeschooling. I would describe it as “educational scrapbooking,” and it’s something that all ages – preschool through high school – can use to enhance their study of a particular topic. They make great presentations for older kids and great “quiet time” activities for younger ones.
Each lapbook has a theme, and it opens up to a bunch of mini books and pictures and activities related to that theme. You can either make the whole thing yourself; or with kids who are old enough to cut or color, you can work together; or, with middle- and high-schoolers, you can have them work completely independently.
There are a ton of websites that sell or offer free lapbook kits, but if you’re creative and have the time (ha!), you can make your own. Homeschoolshare.com has some great free ones; right now, I’m doing one for Esme about apples. We did lapbooks with the boys last year for our book studies of Island of the Blue Dolphins and A Cricket in Times Square; both of those were free lapbooking kits from Homeschool Share.
Most lapbooks use one or more file folders as the base, and you tape, glue, staple, or fasten your materials inside the folders. There are all kinds of neat paper-folding and paper-cutting techniques that you use, which appeals to some kids (Simon) and annoys others (Isaac), but it helps develop hand-eye coordination and forces them to work carefully, which I think are great skills to develop. Take a look: http://www.homeschoolshare.com/lapbooking_resources.php

What We’ve Been Doing
All of my kids love animals. Animal books, animal documentaries, animal stories, actual living animals, dinosaurs…they are just fascinated by anything animal-related. Simon has amazed me more than once by identifying some obscure animal that I’ve never heard of, and Isaac has decided that he wants to write a nature guide about birds. Simon asked me the other day if he could play on the computer, and I reluctantly said yes – only to find out that, instead of playing computer games, he was searching Google images for pictures of gorillas and other creatures that he thinks are cool. Animals are the one topic that they get truly excited to learn about, and we’re always in search of ways to incorporate animals into our studies.
This week, we discovered that Aunt Ann bought us a subscription to National Geographic Kids magazine, which is all about animals. Yay! They also have a huge website (www.nationalgeographic.com/kids/) with videos, pictures, and facts about all kinds of animals, places, crafts, recipes, science experiments, contests, and games. 
There’s even a “Little Kids” version of the magazine for ages 3-6!
Next time we’re looking for a supplement to our curriculum, we’ll have to remember to consider a magazine subscription as an alternative to another book or textbook.

10 Great Homeschool Pages to Like on Facebook

  1. Library and Educational Services
  2. Holy Spirit Led Homeschooling
  3. The Old Schoolhouse Magazine
  4. Preschoolers and Peace
  5. Practical Homeschooling
  6. Lesson Planet
  7. I Love Homeschool
  8. Homeschool Share
  9. Homeschool Freebie of the Day
  10. Homeschool Creations


No comments:

Post a Comment