Sunday, September 23, 2012

Baby Phil's Breastfeeding Tracker




Baby Phil is here, and I have to say, he's already proven to be superior at breastfeeding and weight-gaining. Of course, he's also very sweet, adorable, good-smelling, and snuggly. I, on the other hand, am forgetful, cranky, slow-moving, and not nearly as good-smelling, so I'm extra-proud of the one productive thing I've done in the 5 days since Phil's arrival: I made a breastfeeding log.
So far, it's working wonderfully, and I feel reassured every time I use it that I'm being a responsible mother. It's no scrapbook or journal or organized set of newspaper clippings, but at least I'm creating some kind of record of Phil's early days - and it provides a way for me to spot trends in his eating and pooping that might help identify little problems before they become big ones.

Here's a link to my form: Allison's Breastfeeding Log

I also found a bunch of other logs online. I like mine best, but you might want to track differently than I do. I like that with mine, it's easy to see which breast was first for each feeding; that way, I can alternate.

More pen-and-paper logs:

If you have a smart phone or iPod or similar device, you can also do some fancy tracking with those too, although I don't know if it's as satisfying as having a nice stack of worn, scribbled-on pages. Here are some breastfeeding apps I found online (I can't vouch for their usefulness, but they look cool):
No matter how many babies I have (and five may very well be the final count), each one seems like a totally new, miraculous adventure. I hope this post helps bring a little bit of peace and structure into your new - or newly expanded - family.

1 comment:

  1. He's handsome! Good job! Hope you feel like yourself again soon!

    ReplyDelete