Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Girl Scouts "Leadership" Campaign

The Girl Scouts have decided to make it their mission to put as many women in business and political leadership positions as men within the next generation. As part of this mission, they did a study of young women, which found that girls think that "while women can succeed in business, they rarely become corporate executives; and many believe they are more burdened by family than men as they try to succeed in their careers." Later, a woman who is the co-founder of the Girls Leadership Institute says, regarding women balancing family and career, "It's almost impossible to do both well." So...what are they saying? They want girls to grow up wanting careers and not families? That if you have to choose - and apparently they think you do - you have to choose career over family? I don't have time to go into the many ways that this study and this project disgust me, but I'll tell you one thing: I am not buying any more Girl Scout cookies, no matter how much I love those Caramel Delights. And furthermore, or perhaps more importantly, the Girl Scouts support Planned Parenthood, which provides abortion services, and is therefore in my book staunchly anti-women...regardless of what they think they're promoting. 

2 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of the girl scouts either. Not necessarily for the specific reasons you are not a fan, but just know that I am with you. We have not bought cookies for several years - which really annoys the (adult) people selling them on behalf of their children. I do enjoy annoying people.

    I do not think that 'career success' is any less of a burden than family. I think that wise women learn what balance works for them and work with that. I do not want to be a corporate executive. I want to be a mom who can be home with my kids almost every night for dinner. And play lots and lots of Rummikub. Do you have that game, Al? Your kids would love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post Al - I agree with you wholeheartedly. I had no idea they also supported Planned Parenthood. That's interesting...I thought organizations supported Girl Scouts, not the other way around. Weird.

    And Maura, I LOVE Rummikub, but we don't have that game. I was just telling my kids we need to buy it (after the 100th round of SORRY, Disney edition...seriously). :)

    ReplyDelete