Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving is Coming!

And I think I'm ready. I downloaded this wonderful workbook for the kids from http://www.scriptureadventures.com/ called "Give Thanks" - 102 pages of activities, crafts, memory verses, games, journaling, and other cool stuff - for only $7. I bought the Christmas one too. I think these would work for any elementary-aged kids; ideal age is maybe 2nd - 5th grade. I haven't fully explored the website, but it looks to be full of good stuff for homeschoolers (and church school too - pretty denomination-neutral from what I saw).

I also have our Thanksgiving dinner all planned and the cupboards all stocked. I raided the Food Network website and came up with the following:
Oven Roasted Turkey with Sage Butter and Carmelized Onion and Cornbread Stuffing
Classic Stuffing
Grainy Mustard Mashed Potatoes (you boil the potatoes in milk and cream...yum...)
Creamy Sweet Potato Casserole (topped with marshmallows and candied pecans - no, there is no such thing as "too sweet")
Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cakes (obviously a Paula Deen one)
Then, the piece de resistance: my grandma's green bean recipe. Beans, onions, bacon, vinegar, and brown sugar.
Have been depressed lately about the lack of time to do any of the following things: exercise, adequately plan school and church lessons, dust, read, knit enough to stay on schedule for Christmas presents, sleep, blog, pray, maintain my childrens' toe and fingernails, etc., etc. I'm not sure what I actually have been doing, but it's been keeping me very busy. One neat thing we did last week was to deliver our church's shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child (http://www.samaritanspurse.org/) to the drop-off site in Boone with our pastors. It's too late for this year, but if you've never been involved in this, you should check into it for next year. You pack shoeboxes full of goodies for kids in impoverished countries, and they receive the gifts, along with the gospel message, as Christmas presents.
I'm in the middle of knitting John's birthday present and it is going SLOWLLLLYYY, but I do have seven gifts done and another almost done. Scarves, cowls, gloves, toys, and more. Next year I'm starting way earlier. I wonder if anyone is interested in a knitting all-nighter sometime soon. Would that be fun? I'll have to ask the Yarnivores (my knitting companions). (Isn't that a clever name? I thought of it while I was feeding my way-too-old-to-be-getting-fed-at-1-am baby at 1 am the other night.)
My goal this week is to blog every day. Something useful. Can I do it?

No comments:

Post a Comment