Wednesday, February 23, 2011

We're Going to the Rec!

We had JUST decided to cancel our Rec Center membership in an effort to save money when I found out that the Carroll Area Moms group meets there every Wednesday morning from 9-11 to let their kids run around in the gym. Bummer, right? It reminded me of the time I sold my science book back to the bookstore in college for $50 only to learn that I had to re-purchase it at $150 for use the next semester. This is worse, though, because I think my parents were paying for my books...I was trying to figure out how much it would cost us for admission - surely it would have been more than the $30/month we were paying for our membership - when the Moms group leader emailed me that they got a special rate of $2 per FAMILY. That's like buying each of us a silly band, or a stale candy bar from the vending machine at church, or vacuuming out half of the van at the car wash. I'm so excited to finally be able to tell Isaac, "See, we ARE doing fun stuff for "gym" class like I said we would!" He's been pestering me about it for weeks, and now we have a great excuse to go. I met some of the moms in December at the Pizza Ranch when they had a lunch meeting, but I didn't really talk to them because we all sat at separate tables and spent most of the time waiting on/subduing our children. If I had my way, I'd make it so my two closest friends were stay-at-home-moms with me, but the second-best (and more realistic) thing would be to make some new friends in this group. I need to psych myself up for this...I haven't had to make a conscious effort to make new friends since I started at American Home Shield 9 years ago. Wow, now I feel old. How cool would it be to have a friend come over during the day for a "play date"? I've never had a play date. It sounds so parental and organized and hip. And on that note, I have got to go find Simon before bus 3 passes us by yet again...

2 comments:

  1. I feel for u Allison as we just moved and I stay home with Teddy. Miss the play dates with moms in Calgary. Have to start over in WDM.

    Gina W.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gina, you're in Des Moines?? That's got to be a huge change. We'll have to encourage each other while we try to figure out how to find our "mom niche." I would love to see you some time, too. We'll have to have a play date of our own!

    ReplyDelete