Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Learning Language Arts Through Literature

Anyone still searching for the right Language Arts curriculum for this school year MUST check out Learning Language Arts Through Literature. We're on lesson 4 in the Red (2nd grade) book and the Tan (6th grade) book and I couldn't be happier. I've disliked our English curriculum for the last 2 years and feel like I've finally found something that works. I love the lessons, I love that they're based on "real" literature (a la Charlotte Mason), I love that there are separate teacher's and student manuals and that the students do all of their work in the manual (vs. in a notebook), and I love that they incorporate reading, writing, dictation, grammar, spelling, phonics, and even art.
The pace of the lessons has been working for both boys, somehow, even though one is a fairly slow worker and one is fairly fast. They're Christian too, and they sometimes use Bible verses as the basis for the lessons, which we can't get enough of. (Since this is about English, should I have said "of which we can't get enough"?) As our memory verse for this week tells us, "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be fully equipped to do every good work." 2 Tim. 3:16-17.
Did I do that from memory? Of course I did.

1 comment:

  1. You are kind of an English snob, so I'm glad you like it. I had a memory test today. I had to remember 4 words for like 3 minutes. I only remembered 3. What does that mean? Obviously your memory is highly superior to mine. :(

    ReplyDelete