Monday, August 8, 2011

Memory Verses

One element of our curriculum that I really like is the weekly memory verse. I am really, really bad at memorizing Bible verses, so I'm looking forward to the challenge of memorizing a verse a week. Our first verse is John 3:16 - possibly the most often memorized/quoted verse in the Bible - but not one that I personally have managed to memorize. Yet. The kids are writing it in their notebooks once a day, and I also laminated it onto some index cards and posted them all over the house. One is stuck to the TV, which is perfect, because you can't help but stare at it in between episodes of "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody" and "Dora the Explorer." On Friday, we made collages of people that we cut out of magazines and pasted the verse in the middle of it, and we talked about how ANYONE, no matter what they look like, can be part of God's kingdom. It was fun. Esme glued all of her pictures on top of each other using a massive amount of glue, and Isaac decided he'd rather use animals than people, but I think they understood the point.

Here's the verse stuck to our TV. This, children, is the ancestor of the modern flat-screen television set. It's old, but I love it. Mainly because it fits nicely on the table that it sits on and because I can tell myself that we aren't THAT into watching TV, because if we were, we'd have a bigger set.

No comments:

Post a Comment